CALL TO ORDER: President Randy Vermillion called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m. at Ramada Inn Middletown. 


OPENING REMARKS: Randy Vermillion welcomed everyone in attendance and asked that cell phones be turned off or placed on vibrate mode.


SECRETARYS' REPORT: Lynda Whitaker made a motion to accept the July minutes as published.  The motion was seconded by Max Viney and passed with nine in favor and one abstained.


TREASURERS' REPORT: Gary Gregg provided an update on the financial status of the organization.



TRACK IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE:  Max Viney reported track paving will take place this week.  At this time it is unknown if the track will be available for practice on Saturday.  Viney will keep Doug Stempfley informed so information can be posted on the OVKA website.


SPONSORSHIPS / PIT SPOTS: Randy Vermillion reported there are some reserved pit spots available for rent on a race-by-race basis at a cost of $15 per race.  Contact person is Hal Thornton. 


SHOWS & PROMOTIONS: Randy Vermillion reported that OVKA was represented recently in a couple of newspapers.  There was an article in the Journal News, which serves Butler County featuring Michael Fortner.  An article in the Register Herald out of Eaton featured Kenton Bell, David Caplinger, Joshua Clark, Zach Combs, Kyle Fogt, Cierra Lawson and Jonathan Powers.  Lynda Whitaker spoke with the videographer who filmed OVKA all of last season.  He explained funding was not available to complete the project and said he would put together a 15-minute action clip for promotional purposes. Ray McKibben suggested the board consider requiring written agreements in the future for photographing and videotaping so OVKA can maintain some rights.  Toshiya Michimi recommended requiring some type of sponsorship.  Max Viney discussed the benefits to OVKA of allowing photographing of events.  McKibben reported he will be distributing OVKA literature at a Thunderbird car show in Bellbrook, Ohio on September 9, 2007.  Vermillion said literature is available for anyone who would like to distribute it at car shows or other events.  Contact Max Viney or Vermillion.


RULES COMMITTEE: Rick Coombs explained Rules Committee meetings will begin once the race season has concluded.  The first meeting will be for the entire membership at 10:00 a.m., Saturday, October 6, 2007, at G & J Kartway.  This is an opportunity for everyone to discuss ideas for the 2008 season.  Coombs asked that suggestions and ideas be emailed to him at RC3156@aol.com or by phone at 513-726-4816.  Last year’s committee members should let Coombs know of their interest in assisting again by the September board meeting, as well as anyone else who would be interested.  He discussed the importance of the Rules Committee having a mix of general members and board members.  The first committee meeting will be at 10:00 a.m., Saturday, October 20, 2007, at G & J Kartway.  Coombs explained that the 2008 race schedule and class structure are worked on and voted on separately so this information can be publicized during the off-season. 


SWAP MEET: Randy Vermillion reported Dennis Queary has agreed to co-chair the Swap Meet Committee with Jeff Morningstar and Gary Gregg.  Queary will contact Tim Bussen and Morningstar to get the flyer put together for National Kart News, the OVKA website and other publicity.  Vermillion said it would be nice to have some media coverage for this event and asked for assistance in contacting Dayton area television and radio stations.  Don Boles offered to provide information to Kilkare Raceway.  Vermillion will contact Springfield area newspapers.  Gregg asked for ideas about special events to conduct at the Swap Meet.  Vermillion explained quite a few volunteers will be needed to work the gate. 



SIRA RACE: Randy Vermillion reminded everyone of the upcoming SIRA (Southern Indiana Racing Association) race being held at G & J Kartway on Saturday, September 8, 2007.  Vermillion explained there are a number of classes our racers can participate in.  The entry fee is $50 per class plus $5 for a single-day membership.  Kid Karts are $25 and pit passes are $10.  This Saturday race precedes OKVA’s 13th event, which will be on Sunday.  For information, see the SIRA website, www.sirakarting.net


PARTICIPATION CREDITS:  Randy Vermillion reported there are a lot of racers who do not have participation credits or who have only one of the two credits required in order to be eligible for banquet prizes.  He explained there are only four more race day opportunities to earn participation credits.  Vermillion said he is totally against creating a third workday for the purpose of earning work credits.  Doug Benson pointed out there was a season’s end work day last year to which Vermillion responded that was a special situation created by the Track Improvement Committee.  Vermillion also discussed parents bringing young children to work days expecting a work credit for fifteen minutes worth of work from a child instead of the four hours that are required. 


FUN RACE: As a reminder, Randy Vermillion pointed out the fun race at the end of the season on Saturday, September 22, 2007, was cancelled by the board.



2008 SEASON: Randy Vermilion discussed the financial investment being made in the track expansion by both the club and track owner and said he is of the opinion the club should stay at G & J Kartway next year.  Vermillion discussed low kart counts at away races, travel expenses involved and the fact that quite a few of the club’s regular workers will not travel.  He pointed out that other clubs do not include traveling to G & J on their racing schedules.  Vermillion asked the board to canvass the membership at the upcoming race.



DARF INJURED DRIVERS FUND: Lynda Whitaker reported the club received a letter from the Dayton Auto Race Fans organization (DARF) reminding of the existence of the Wally Scherer/DARF Injured Drivers Benevolent Fund. 


BOARD MEMBER RESIGNATION: Randy Vermillion reported it is with regret he has accepted the resignation of Nick Ouwerkerk from the OVKA Board of Director’s.  Ouwerkerk is an OVKA Lifetime Member and has been a Board member for twelve years.  He served four years as OVKA President and on many committees.  Vermillion thanked Ouwerkerk for his dedication to the organization and wished him the best.  Ouwerkerk received a round of applause.


LIGHT POLES: Tim Bell reported Drew Young knows of some light poles that are available for the track.  Gary Gregg will contact Young.


DROPPED RACES: Tim Bell reviewed how dropped races affect year-end points.  Bell stated it is not a fair method and he has tried for seven years to have it changed.  Randy Vermillion explained this is something the Rules Committee will be discussing.


NEXT BOARD MEETING: 7:00 p.m., Tuesday, August 7 2007, at Ramada Inn Middletown, 6147 West State Route 122, Franklin, Ohio (east side of I-75).


ADJOURNMENT: As has been tradition, Nick Ouwerkerk made a motion to adjourn at 8:55 p.m.  The motion was seconded by Max Viney and passed unanimously.


BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: T. Bell, D. Benson, D. Boles, R. Coombs, G. Gregg, R. Landes, M. Lewis, T. Michimi, N. Ouwerkerk, D. Stempfley, H. Thornton, R. Vermillion and M. Viney.


MEMBERS / VISITORS PRESENT: C. Bogan, T. Cradlebaugh, K. McKibben, R. McKibben, Randall Potter, Randy Potter, D. Queary, R.J. Vermillion, G. Whaling, L. Whitaker and B. Williams.


Respectfully submitted by Lynda Whitaker, OVKA Secretary, 8/19/07.