CALL TO ORDER: President Randy Vermillion called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. at Ramada Inn Middletown.

OPENING REMARKS: Randy Vermillion reminded attendees to turn cell phones off or put on vibrate mode and asked there be no sidebar conversations.

SECRETARYS' REPORT: Lynda Whitaker made a motion to accept the June minutes as published. The motion was seconded by Viney and passed unanimously.



CHAMP RACE: Randy Vermillion stated that while the weather had some affect, the Champ Race was able to be completed. Vermillion thanked all of the volunteers who helped make the event a success. He asked the board to think ahead to next year about adjusting fees in order to help cover the cost of this event. Rick Coombs detailed expenses associated with the Champ Race.

TRACK IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE: Max Viney reported on progress of the track expansion and said that Gary Gregg is in the process of obtaining estimates for paving. Rick Coombs said he is scheduled to work on excavation beginning Monday, June 11, 2007 and the track will need to be closed until further notice. Tim Bell asked that signs be posted at the upcoming race. Doug Stempfley will put a notice on the website.

SPONSORSHIPS / PIT SPOTS: Randy Vermillion reported there are some pit spots available at the Camden track for $15 per race for the remainder of the 2007 season. Vermillion said anyone who would like OVKA literature for distribution at car shows or other events can contact Max Viney or himself. Viney reported Bill Smiley will be promoting OVKA at an upcoming SCCA autocross event at the Nutter Center.


TRACK PAINTING: Randy Vermillion reported a lot was accomplished at the track painting day and thanked the eighteen volunteers. The scale house, shed, turtles, shifter lines, start/finish line and scoring tower were all painted. Vermillion also extended thanks to Mark Brown for supplying a new flagpole and Rick Coombs and Gary and Travis Gregg for installation of the flagpole. Gerald Whaling said someone did a nice job painting a new start/finish line. Vermillion thanked Rick Nelson for his dedication to the project and explained Nelson worked on it by flashlight until 1:15 a.m.

WKA GOLD CUP: On behalf of Steve Willis, Max Viney thanked the OVKA members who helped at the WKA Gold Cup this past weekend.

SIRA RACE: Randy Vermillion reminded everyone of the upcoming SIRA (Southern Indiana Racing Association) race being held at G & J Kartway on Saturday, September 8, 2007. Vermillion explained there are a number of classes our racers can participate in. The entry fee is $50 per class plus $5 for a single-day membership. Kid Karts are $25 and pit passes are $10. This Saturday race precedes OKVA’s 13th event, which will be on Sunday. For information, see the SIRA website, www.sirakarting.net

PARTICIPATION CREDITS: Randy Vermillion reiterated that racers will need to have two participation credits per class above and beyond the participation level in order to receive any prizes at the banquet. This is up to the racers to take care of. Vermillion stated it is important to understand as the season draws to an end, there may not be enough opportunities to earn Ps and he is totally against creating a workday for the purpose of earning credits. Vermillion explained it continues to be difficult to find corner workers and this is the time of the season when it becomes even harder to get people to work. If you would like to sign up to work a corner or you have someone who could fill this position to earn a P for you, let Lynda Whitaker know. Doug Stempfley will post information on the website.

LIGHTS FOR EVENING EVENTS: Randy Vermillion reported arrangements have been made through Herman Tholen for delivery of lights for the upcoming Saturday evening race. The track will close at 8:30 p.m. so the lights can be set up. Help will be needed.

CIRCLEVILLE RACE #10: As a reminder, Randy Vermillion explained Circleville Raceway Park will be open for practice on Saturday, July 28, 2007 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. only. This is the day before OVKA’s race #10. This is necessary to be respectful of a wedding and reception taking place across the road from the track.


DISCIPLINARY MATTER: Randy Vermillion reported on a situation that occurred at race #7 and explained the parents involved have discussed the matter. Vermillion notified Mark Brown of the possibility of disciplinary action at this evenings meeting. Brown was unable to be present. Don Boles made a motion Mark Brown be placed on a four-race probation beginning with race #8. The motion was seconded by Max Viney and passed unanimously.


HPV CLASS: Randy Potter asked if there was any interest generated in an HPV class as a result of the exhibition at the Champ Race. Randy Vermillion responded he had not heard anything. Vermillion made a motion to give the HPV entrants from the Champ Race a free entry at the next event they participate in since they did not get to complete the feature. The motion was seconded by Max Viney and passed with six in favor and one abstained.

2008 SEASON: Randy Vermilion asked the board to start thinking ahead to the 2008 racing season in terms of whether the club should continue to travel to other tracks and the number of events that should be held. A variety of options were discussed. Vermillion will draft a 2008 schedule to present to the board in the near future. Vermillion reminded the board someone will need to step up to assist Jeff Morningstar with next year’s Swap Meet, as Tim Bussen will no longer be serving on the committee. Work on this event will begin in October. Vermillion reported this will be his last year as OVKA President.

RACE DAY WORKERS: As is typical by mid-season, Randy Vermillion explained it becomes more difficult to get corner workers. Hal Thornton suggested as a condition of membership, racers must work one event. Vermillion said the worker situation will continue to be a challenge as the new track addition will require more corner workers. This matter is on the list for the Rules Committee to discuss during the off-season. Toshiya Michimi asked if requiring two participation credits has helped any to which Vermillion responded no - the same people continue to help.

NEXT BOARD MEETING: 7:00 p.m., Tuesday, August 7 2007, at Ramada Inn Middletown, 6147 West State Route 122, Franklin, Ohio (east side of I-75).

ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn was made by Don Boles 8:38 p.m., seconded by Tim Bell and passed unanimously.

BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: T. Bell, D. Boles, R. Coombs, T. Michimi, D. Stempfley, H. Thornton, R. Vermillion and M. Viney.

MEMBERS / VISITORS PRESENT: R. McKibben, Randall Potter, Randy Potter, R.J. Vermillion, G. Whaling, L. Whitaker and B. Williams.

Respectfully submitted by Lynda Whitaker, OVKA Secretary, 7/22/07.