TUESDAY, MAY 1, 2007


CALL TO ORDER: President Randy Vermillion called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m. at Ramada Inn Middletown. 


OPENING REMARKS: Randy Vermillion reminded attendees to turn cell phones off or put on vibrate mode.


SECRETARYS' REPORT: Lynda Whitaker made a motion to accept the April minutes as published.  The motion was seconded by Nick Ouwerkerk and passed with 8 in favor and 1 abstained.  Whitaker explained the computer issue at the last race was the result of a defective network cable.  New cables will be purchased to have on hand as backup.


TREASURERS' REPORT: Gary Gregg provided an update on account balances.


COMMITTEE REPORTS: Randy Vermillion discussed responsibilities of committee members.  He explained the expectation is in addition to coming up with ideas, seeing projects through from beginning to end.  Vermillion further stated there are no plans to give participation credits for committee work.


CHAMP RACE: Randy Vermillion explained someone is needed to chair the Champ Race.  This involves coordinating food with the caterer, lining up volunteers to help with set-up, teardown, clean up and games for the children and overseeing everything the afternoon of the event.  Vermillion explained the additional expenses associated with the Champ Race include trophies, meal, two days of workers and ambulance.  A decision about gate and entry fees for the event was tabled until next month.


RULES COMMITTEE: Randy Vermillion reported an email was received from WKA approving the Rookie Class as a local option class.  Vermillion expressed concern about the new participation credit policy, which requires two additional “Ps” above the participation level in order to be eligible for year-end prizes.  He explained some people are now asking to receive participation credits for committee work and general volunteer work.  Lynda Whitaker stated there are very few race day worker positions open for racers to earn participation credits.  Nick Ouwerkerk suggested reviewing the matter mid-season. 


TRACK IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE:  Max Viney reported the track addition project is underway.  Rick Coombs and Gary Gregg arranged for dirt to be hauled in which began last week.  Staking out the track design is almost complete.  Additional discussion included drainage, paving and settling.  Vermillion reported the design is posted on the OVKA website.


SPONSORSHIPS / PIT SPOTS: Randy Vermillion reported some new sponsors have signed on this season.  At this time, only two classes do not have sponsors.  Sponsorship Committee members have been contacting potential sponsors and sending out OVKA literature.  Vermillion said there are still some reserved pit spots available.  Randy Landes suggested the pit spot map be posted on the website to show the reserved and open spots.  Vermillion will provide Doug Stempfley with this information for publication.


SHOWS & PROMOTIONS: Randy Vermillion offered OVKA literature for distribution to anyone who would like to promote the club at car shows or other events.  A rack with brochures has been installed at the pavilion area.  Lynda Whitaker gave a brief presentation about OVKA at the DARF meeting last week.  There has been discussion with two radio stations who expressed interest in coming to the track sometime during the season.  Vermillion would like to find a way to get television coverage, especially for the Champ Race.  Doug Stempfley offered to look into this.  Ray McKibben is working on putting together background information about OVKA for media purposes.


SWAP MEET: Gary Gregg asked for ideas for the Swap Meet, such as a vintage kart display with prizes.  Nick Ouwerkerk suggested discontinuing the burnout competition and replace it with a vintage kart contest.  Randy Vermillion reported there was a lot of interest in Terry Pastor’s vintage kart that was on display at the last Swap Meet. 







DRIVING SCHOOL & CLEAN-UP DAY: Randy Vermillion reported 17 people, most of them new, braved the cold and attended the driving school.  For Karting 101, the tech barn was filled with participants.  Due to the weather, track time was cancelled and they were provided with instruction only.  Kart and helmet inspections were done.  Positive feedback was received from racers and their crews who attended these events saying the sessions were extremely helpful and they were impressed with the safety aspect that was discussed. 


LIFE SQUAD/EMT AT CIRCLEVILLE: Randy Vermillion reported Steve Tatman will make arrangements to have an EMT on site at our Circleville races who will be totally available throughout the events.


SIRA RACE: Randy Vermillion said the SIRA (Southern Indiana Racing Association) race at G & J Kartway has been confirmed for Saturday, September 8, 2007.  There are a number of classes that will meet our racers needs.  For information, see the SIRA website, www.sirakarting.net.  The entry fee is $50 per class plus $5 for a single-day membership.  Kid Karts are $25 and pit passes are $10.  Vermillion pointed out this Saturday race precedes OKVA’s 13th event, which will be on Sunday.  Jeff Powers explained SIRA is a traveling race series.



COMPUTER REGISTRATION: Randy Vermillion explained only a small percentage of racers sign up for membership prior to the first race resulting in long lines at registration.  Vermillion made a motion to appropriate $375 to purchase a third software license and bar code scanner for registration.  The motion was seconded by Max Viney and failed with 6 opposed and 5 in favor.  Ray Brown, via Gary Gregg, suggested raising the membership fee $10 after a certain date to prompt racers to get their paperwork in sooner.  Bill Brundage said the new software system was to allow us to start race day sooner to which Lynda Whitaker responded it is currently possible to do so by 30 minutes.  Nick Ouwerkerk suggested looking into online pre-registration and accepting credit cards.  Vermillion stated New Castle does that but they have full time staff who take care of it.  Ray McKibben cautioned to make sure research is done on fees associated with accepting credit cards before doing so as some of the fees can be costly.


APPEAL OF PROTEST: Lynda Whitaker read a protest submitted by John Horn on April 22, 2007, which was denied by the Protest Committee.  Horn stated he believes it was a racing incident and made a motion to overturn the penalty issued and have two positions restored.  Due to the lack of a second, motion died.



CIRCLEVILLE RACE, SATURDAY, MAY 12, 2007: Randy Vermillion explained at this time, it is unknown what the price of 2-cycle fuel will be at the upcoming Circleville race.  Toshiya Michimi asked if there are going to be reserved pit spots at Circleville.  Vermillion said last year there were not but in previous years, there have been.


TRACK PAINTING: Randy Vermillion reported track painting could not be done at the clean-up day due to the weather.  He would like to set a date and have a small crew come out to paint.  Contact Vermillion or Max Viney to sign up to paint on Sunday, June 10th, from 9:00a.m. to 1:00 p.m.  Rain date will be Saturday, June 16th, 9:00a.m. to 1:00p.m.  Volunteers will earn a participation credit for working the four-hour shift.


KID KARTS: Gary Gregg suggested the Kid Kart be given different types of weekly awards such as certificates, hats, t-shirts or medallions.  Randy Vermillion will discuss the matter with the Kid Kart Director.


RULES VIOLATIONS: John Horn questioned why a pit crewmember entered the track via the scale lane and no action was taken.  Randy Vermillion stated he had no knowledge of the situation and since no protest was filed that day, no action was taken.  Horn discussed a situation that occurred on the start of a heat race.  Vermillion explained these matters need to be handled on race day and brought to the attention of race officials at the time they occur and the protest process followed.  Vermillion explained the role of being a board member involves more than coming to a meeting once a month.  Board members need to monitor race day and bring situations to the attention of race officials.


OVKA FRIEND: Hal Thornton reported Steve Smith, who is in Jewish Hospital in Cincinnati, is doing better.  OVKA extends their wishes to Steve for restored health.


SHIFTER CLASS: Carlson Bogan made a motion to lower the weights by ten pounds in the Shifter Class to 385# for moto and 405# for ICC.  The motion was seconded by Hal Thornton and passed unanimously.



GOLD CUP: Gary Gregg stated at previous WKA events at G & J Kartway, workers who donate their time have received a participation credit and he donates the financial compensation they would have received to the club.  Gregg asked if it is the board’s intent to continue this practice.  Consensus was to continue doing so.  Max Viney said a crew will be needed for both Saturday and Sunday, June 30 & July 1, 2007.  


NEXT BOARD MEETING: 7:00 p.m., Tuesday, June 5 2007, at Ramada Inn Middletown, 6147 West State Route 122, Franklin, Ohio (east side of I-75).


ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn was made by Nick Ouwerkerk at 9:55 p.m., seconded by Tim Bell and passed unanimously.


BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: D. Benson, D. Boles, B. Brundage, R. Coombs, G. Gregg, R. Landes,

T. Michimi, N. Ouwerkerk, D. Stempfley, H. Thornton, R. Vermillion, and M. Viney.


MEMBERS / VISITORS PRESENT: C. Bogan, T. Cradlebaugh, J. Horn, R. McKibben, J. Powers, P. Robbins, R.J. Vermillion, G. Whaling and L. Whitaker.


Respectfully submitted by Lynda Whitaker, OVKA Secretary, 5/9/07.