OHIO VALLEY KARTING ASSOCIATION

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

TUESDAY, JULY 11, 2006

 

 

CALL TO ORDER: President Randy Vermillion called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. at Ramada Inn, Middletown, Ohio.

 

OPENING REMARKS: Randy Vermillion extended a welcome to everyone and asked that cell phones be turned off or on vibrate mode.

 

SECRETARYS' REPORT: Lynda Whitaker made a motion to accept the June minutes as published.The motion was seconded by Don Boles and passed with 8 in favor and 1 abstained.

 

TREASURERS' REPORT: on behalf of Jason Gregg, Gary Gregg provided the financial report.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

CHAMP RACE: Lynda Whitaker thanked Carolyn Thornton, Barb Bell, Beth Slater, Kathy McKibben, Angie Campbell, JoAnne Hartings and all of the people who helped make the Champ Race a memorable event.Whitaker reported a significant number of people stayed for the games and some nice prizes were awarded.The track beautification contest (also known as the trash decorating contest) was a big hit and helped spruce things up.Food was provided by Powerhouse Catering and music by Mike and Kathy Reifeis.Whitaker had positive feedback from quite a few people.

 

RULES COMMITTEE: Rick Coombs explained that the Rules Committee will begin meeting once the season has concluded.The general membership will be encouraged to come to the first meeting to share their thoughts and ideas.Suggestions may be emailed ahead of time to Coombs at RC3156@aol.com.

 

SPONSORSHIP / PIT SOPTS: Randy Vermillion explained how sponsors are recognized through announcements at each event.

 

SHOWS & PROMOTIONS: Randy Vermillion reported he has received requests from a number of people for OVKA flyers to distribute at various events.Anyone who would like materials to promote the organization should contact him.Tim Bell reported Elaine Gregg coordinated OVKAís participation in a parade held in Eaton.Gregg carpeted a flatbed trailer to carry 15 karts along with banners on the parade route.Bell said he met a lot of people at the parade Eaton who were not aware of the track.Vermillion explained Gary Gregg has been attempting to provide better signage for G & J Kartway since the facility is so far off main roads.††† Vermillion said he is waiting to hear from Nick Ouwerkerk regarding the Arthritis Foundationís request to rent the clubís timing system, transponders and timing operators for their Mini Grand Prix.

 

TRACK IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE: Max Viney reported the Track Improvement Committee held a meeting after Champ Race qualifying.Committee member, Bret Campbell, who has background in pavement work, surveyed the track for A, B and C cracks.The committee is looking at how best to improve, repair and maintain the track, as well as minimize deterioration.Doug and Scott Benson took measurements and Viney designed a CAD drawing.Campbell will obtain estimates to fill cracks.A follow up meeting is to be scheduled.Committee participants include Doug Benson, Scott Benson, Bret Campbell, Ted Cradlebaugh, Mark Lewis and Max Viney.Randy Vermillion thanked committee members for their work so far.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

SATURDAY NIGHT RACE #9 LIGHTING: Randy Vermillion explained help will be needed installing rental lights Friday evening, July 21 in preparation for the Saturday night race.Funds were appropriated last month to cover lighting expenses.Tim Bell will make arrangements with Herman Tholen for delivery and pickup of the lights.Vermillion explained Lynda Whitaker took pictures prior to the last night race, which will be referred to in placing the lights at the next night race.Bell and Vermillion asked Gary Gregg to replace bulbs in turn two and four.

 

EMT VS. AMBULANCE AT CIRCLEVILLE: In follow up to last monthís discussion, Randy Vermillion reported he talked with Steve Tatman regarding having an ambulance squad at Circleville rather than EMT and asked for the boardís thoughts on the matter.JoAnne Hartings stated if we have an ambulance at the other two tracks we race at, it should be no different at Circleville.Ray McKibben said EMTs need to be watching 100% of the time.Max Viney made a motion to provide the appropriate funding for an ambulance for the last two Circleville races.The motion was seconded by Doug Stempfley, II and passed with 8 in favor and 2 opposed.Randy Vermillion will contact Tatman to make arrangements and sharing the cost.

 

NEW BUSINESS:

TECH EQUIPMENT: Randy Vermillion explained it was necessary to purchase two grade A burettes for tech procedures at a cost of $263.04.Vermillion thanked Gerald Whaling for loaning a burette at the Champ Race when one was broken.

 

WEBSITE LAP TIMES: Randy Vermillion asked for feedback about racelaps.com.Tim Bell and Ted Cradlebaugh responded they think it is great.Doug Stempfley, II said he feels it is better than what we had.Bell asked about the points spreadsheet.Lynda Whitaker will check into it.

 

NEW CASTLE RACE #8: Randy Vermillion asked how people liked holding a Saturday event using a Sunday time schedule.Bob Wood responded he thinks it works well as it allows families to have Sunday to relax.Vermillion agreed saying he feels it makes for an easier weekend.Doug Stempfley, II suggested this format be used at Circleville.Ted Cradlebaugh stated he would like to see more Saturday races.Stempfley asked if there is a way someone could be stationed at the entry area at New Castle selling pit passes.

 

2007 SCHEDULE: Randy Vermillion asked the board to start thinking about planning for next yearís racing schedule.He explained that during the off-season, publicity needs to go out and shows are held where OVKA literature is distributed.Vermillion asked that consideration be given to the number of races, number of drops, how many away races, how many night races and running Saturday events on a Sunday schedule.Steve Smith said he would like to see two races held on a back-to-back Saturday & Sunday at an away track.Gerald Whaling suggested having two series, one that holds ten races at G & J and one that travels four races at Circleville plus two or three at New Castle.†† He stated there could also be an overall combined champion.Vermillion said he would like to see racers from the away tracks support G & J as we do their tracks.Gary Gregg responded he feels it is important to support other tracks in order to keep karting strong as a region.Vermillion will put together a draft schedule by October.

 

PROTEST PROCEDURES: Randy Vermillion discussed the protest procedure that is in place per the OVKA rulebook.He explained that race officials are not to be taken away from their positions to discuss situations.If a racer is dissatisfied with a call that is made, they need to use the existing protest procedure.

 

OPEN DISCUSSION:

WORKERS: In follow up to last month, Randy Vermillion discussed the difficulty that continues in finding corner workers.He explained this is a volunteer organization and not a business.Don Boles said he is an advocate for requiring two classes per event to work rather than race.Vermillion stated the worker reimbursement schedule needs to be reviewed, as there has not been an adjustment for a number of years.He said another issue has been people signing up to work then not showing up.Randy Landes pointed out that the difficulty with getting corner workers may have something to do with not having much of a break and if they make a call, they may get hammered.Doug Benson asked for Vermillionís personal opinion as to why it is so hard to get workers and how to go about fixing this.Vermillion responded he feels workers are under compensated and overworked and the club would need to run as a business to fix this.Benson pointed out that a good deal of money goes to the banquet.Vermillion said it is difficult to find people who want to stand out in the sun all day fourteen times a year and have some knowledge of racing.†† John Horn said people may not know they receive financial compensation and suggested this be announced.Horn asked if any advertising has been done locally such as in Eaton.Vermillion explained this has been done in the past and there is the need for someone to take this on.Ted Cradlebaugh suggested consideration be given to requiring people to work an event or receive a zero.The matter was tabled.

 

JUNIOR BRIGGS: Bob Wood explained that a competitor in the Junior Briggs class did not run the third heat but scored few enough points from the first two heats to finish in the top five for the day.This competitor was not disqualified for the day for failure to report to impound.Wood cited both the OVKA rulebook and WKA tech manual.Vermillion explained that since the class was not selected for tech, the drivers were released at the scale resulting in an oversight in recognizing a top five finisher was missing.He further stated that it is not often a person finishes in the top five if they didnít finish all three heats. Tim Bell reminded everyone that the Tech Director instructed racers at the driverís meeting that if they even think they are a top five finisher, they need to go to impound.Joan Morgan stated not showing up for post-tech is a serious matter.George Jackson said while he feels this should be a disqualification for the day, he does not think it should have to be carried for the year.Vermillion reported that another competitor who did not complete all three heats and left early did leave their kart at the track in anticipation of being a top five finisher.Gerald Whaling said that since the classes had already been picked that were going to be teched, Mark Brown was unaware the competitor was not there.Vermillion asked the board for input as to whether to go back and disqualify the driver. Hal Thornton responded he does no think we can go back and do so.Morgan agreed saying you cannot tech in arrears.

 

POST-TECH DISQUALIFICATIONS:George Jackson discussed a post-technical disqualification his son received at the Champ Race.Jackson said the rules need to be looked at as he feels it is unfair the disqualification has to be counted toward year-end points.Randy Vermillion responded he believes the part in question would not pass WKA inspection.Vermillion explained that WKA requires unsportsmanlike disqualifications to be counted as a zero in year-end points while other types of DQs for the day, such as mechanical issues, can be used as a dropped race toward overall season points.He said OVKAís rule on this is harsher.Joan Morgan discussed how quickly a can may crack and said she feels OVKAís rule on counting DQs seems unfair.Vermillion said if this were to be changed for one person, it would have to be changed for everyone this year.He suggested the matter be considered for the 2007 season to which Don Boles agreed.

 

TaG CLASS: Gary Gregg proposed restructuring the TaG class to specify one weight and one engine.Randy Vermillion responded this could be looked at for next year.

 

KUDOS: Carlson Bogan said Randy Vermillion needs to be commended for the excellent job he did lining up qualified post-tech staff for the Champ Race, as well as all of his hard work throughout the season.

 

ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn was made at 10:05 p.m. by Don Boles, seconded by Rick Coombs and passed unanimously.

 

NEXT MEETING: 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, August 1, 2006, at Ramada Inn Middletown, 6147 West State Route 122, Franklin, OH (east side of I-75)

 

BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: T. Bell, D. Boles, R. Coombs, G. Gregg, J. Hartings, R. Landes, M. Lewis, D. Stempfley, II, S. Smith, H. Thornton, R. Vermillion, and M. Viney.

 

MEMBERS / VISITORS PRESENT: P. Antoun, D. Benson, C. Bogan, T. Cradlebaugh, V. Hartings, J. Horn, C. Jackson, G. Jackson, G. Lutz, K. McKibben, R. McKibben, S. McKibben, J. Morgan, P. Robbins, C. Stempfley, D. Stempfley, G. Whaling, L. Whitaker, B. Williams and B. Wood.

 

Respectfully submitted by Lynda Whitaker, OVKA Secretary, 7/30/06.††††††